Today's Top Stories - September 18, 2014
VIRGINIA NEWS SOURCE WILL NOT PUBLISH FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 19 -- WILL RESUME, MONDAY 22
GOLDEN BULLET AWARD: To killer of 26 YO Oxford man, a career criminal, who was trying to rob the Rose Mart in Oxford Tuesday morning More
GOLDEN BULLET AWARD: To Rutherford, NJ police for killing man who rammed their police car More
SILVER BULLET AWARD: To Van Nuys, CA homeowner who took down a would be burglar with a shot to the hip More
GUNS! Why I carry: Convicted Killer Was Released From Jail, He Then Kills His Girlfriend and Eats Her More
Winston Co. (Miss.) coroner has it right: Urges people to take responsibility for their own safety: "I'm not trying to get people to go out on a killing spree. I'm not wanting to do that," "But sometimes one shot is all it takes to convince the folks you don't need to fool with these people anymore. They mean business." More
GUNS! Legislation Introduced to Eliminate ATF - the federal gun-running agency for Mexican criminal cartels - The ATF is a largely duplicative, scandal ridden agency that lacks a clear mission It is plagued by backlogs, funding gaps, hiring challenges and a lack of leadership More
Eric Holder Really Doesn't Want Fast and Furious Documents Released: Is appealing the 1 October deadline More
WETBACK UPDATE …
Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Securing border ‘sounds good,’ but ‘not effective’ solution; he traded fiery jabs with television’s Sean Hannity in a recent broadcast, telling the Fox News host that cracking down on the border as a first priority counter-terrorism measure is futil More
Perry strikes back, invites Mexico’s Peña Nieto to visit Texas Texas Gov. Rick Perry responded to harsh criticism from Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto in a letter on Wednesday, inviting him to come to Texas to see the professionalism of the National Guard troops now stationed at the Texas border More
OBAMA’S RACE WAR…
Angry protesters disrupted a local government gathering of Ferguson authorities, shouting for justice for fatally shot 18-year-old Michael Brown the second time St. Louis residents have staged such an outburst at an official meeting in a week’s time More
BENGHAZIGATE COVER UP CONT’D …
Benghazi probe looks set to go deep in 2016 race; The Republican chairman of a special House panel on Benghazi charted a course Wednesday for his investigation to stretch deep into a 2016 presidential election that former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton seems likely to enter More
Democrats launch Benghazi website ahead of committee hearing Ahead of the House Select Committee on Benghazi's highly-anticipated first public hearing Wednesday, Democrats offered some of their own answers to questions surrounding the terrorist attack while Republicans urged them not to prejudge the investigation before it starts More
EPA OBAMA’S DOMESTIC TERROR AGENCY
90% of EPA Stimulus Funding for Diesel Reduction Program Misspent More
GOD IS OUT: Air Force drops requirement in enlistment oath using the phrase ‘so help me God’ More
Editor: Obama claims ISIS is not Islamic precisely because of their brutality. To the contrary, the horrendous videos of civilian executions being broadcast are proof of their Qur'anic fundamentalism. Surah 8:55 & 57 makes clear that even non-combatants are fair game in order to spread fear:
"Assuredly, the worst of beasts in Allah's sight are the ungrateful who will not believe... If you come on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that perhaps they may remember." (quoted verbatim from The Glorious Qur'an, a translation in their own words distributed by Muslims in English-speaking countries)
"The aim of The Glorious Qur'an is to present to English readers what Muslims the world over hold to be the meaning of the words of the Qur'an."
Ira White - Portsmouth VA
Do you ever call a tech and can’t understand what they are saying? Or is your income not keeping up with rising prices. Or you can’t find goods that have been made in America?
The trade pact NAFTA has contributed to all of these things. It has led to lower wages, job losses, outsourcing, and even a loss of American sovereignty.
Trade pacts such as NAFTA are regional arrangements that are foreign governing bodies that take control over not just trade but also regulations that have nothing to do with trade.
By Jim Bacon
When remarking upon disparities in educational outcomes, most pundits focus on the racial/ethnic gap between Asians and whites on the one hand and blacks and Hispanics on the other. That's no surprise, given the distressing size of the gap and the dismal implications of that gap for the prospects for forging a society in which every child has an equal shot at succeeding in life. But there's another gap, not quite as large, but equally pervasive -- the gender gap. Girls out-perform boys academically across the board. Combine the gender gap with the ethnic/racial gap, and that spells very bad news for the upcoming generation of black males.
To examine the dimensions of this gap, I used Virginia's awesome "SOL Assessment Build a Table" tool that allows users to take a deep dive into the data. I compared male vs female pass and fail rates on reading, writing, history, math and science SOLs across all schools and grades, then broke down the gender disparities by racial/ethnic group to see if the disparities were worse for some groups than others Read rest of the story Read More.
VNS columnist John Kuchta Jr., AKA Captain Crawdad, writes an interesting piece on the Wall Street Journal - the most widely circulated newspaper in the nation - calling out Obama for the half-black, half-white in competent politician in the nation’s history that he is.
“A ‘deadly’ article,” Kuchta said. Read rest of the story by clicking Read More below:
And in another scathing piece, Kuchta writes:
By golly, when Janet Napalitano told us years ago that the southern border was safer than it had ever been, I believed her!
Janet was the type of woman who was almost Thatcher-esq if you overlooked her lack of integrity, lack of knowledge of her job and slavish devotion to The Kenyan. Liberals liked her because she liked little girls…”. Read rest of his column by clicking Read More below
by Dr. Christine Chmura, President and Chief Economist, Chumura Economics and Analytics
A lot has been made about the hollowing out of America, also called "job polarization" by economists.
It happened during the recession when the employment in mid-wage occupations declined by a larger number than lower-wage or higher-wage occupations dropped.
Since the recovery began, job growth has been lagging Click to read rest of the story
New Study Highlights Financial Health of Hospitals
by the Thomas Jefferson Institute
In a new study released today, the Thomas Jefferson Institute shows the financial health of the hospitals in Virginia. The study may be found here:
"The financial health of the hospitals has become an issue because the hospitals have weighed in on the Medicaid expansion debate saying they need these federal dollars" writes Michael Thompson, President of the Thomas Jefferson Institute, who compiled the numbers and wrote this report.
Using the profit/loss and net worth numbers as reported on the Virginia Hospital Information website, the Jefferson Institute's report shows that most hospitals are doing very well, while a relatively few seem to be in "financial strife."
by Larry Henry - Special to VNS
Cowards to the Right of us,
Traitors to the Left of us,
Media Morons in front of us,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell,
Rode the six hundred
300 from Congress and 300 from the White House.
This reminds me of the allegory of Plato’s Cave.
Socrates describes a band of prisoners who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all their lives, facing a blank wall. The prisoners watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them. Those shadows are as close as they ever get to viewing reality.
- What would Davy (Crockett) Do?
- The Obama legacy - Destroying America
- Does Chinese cruelty to animals make your bacon taste better?
- A Christian holocaust is taking place in the Middle East ...& coming to America!
- Obama taking over the world with Ebola panic?
- Who Killed Jack Korte? We report. You decide@
- Nonsurgical Treatments Suggested for Women's Urinary Incontinence
- Infertility: Ten Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Infertility
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Co-Workers Take Dim View of Women Who Seek Flex Time: Study
- Women Over 75 May Benefit From Mammograms
- Yeast Infection (in Women and Men)
- J&J Pulls Hysterectomy Tool Tied to Cancer Risk From Market
- calcium carbonate, Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums Extra, Tums Chewy Delight, and Many Others
- Early Hormone Therapy May Be Safe for Women's Hearts
- Female Triathletes May Face Health Problems Such as Incontinence
- What drives iPhone 6 shoppers to wait in line for days?
- Roger Goodell solution to NFL domestic violence: 'Everything is on the table'
- So what is a supermassive black hole anyway?
- Fighting Islamic State: Why US training of Iraqi forces will be harder this time
- Why estimate for world population in 2100 is now 11 billion
- Joe Biden gaffe week: What did he say now?
- 17 highest-earning authors of 2014
- 'The Maze Runner' doesn't separate itself from its YA dystopian brethren
- Mercedes is the latest automaker to get 'self-driving car' license in California
- Governor Christie exonerated on 'Bridgegate?' We'll see.
- AP Exclusive: CIA halts spying in Europe
- France joins US against Islamic State over Iraq
- Fence jumper at White House sparks evacuation
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Brown credited with turning Scot independence tide
- APNewsBreak: Cupich to be next Chicago archbishop
- 3 guilty in Ga. salmonella-tainted peanut trial
- License plate scanner networks capture movements
- Congress backs Obama on aid to Syrian rebels
- Florida town knew shooter had troubled past
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- August 21, 2014 (Investigation Announcement): Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Braenderup Infections Linked to Nut Butter...
- August 20, 2014 (Final Update) Outbreak of Human Salmonella Cotham and Salmonella Kisarawe Infections...
- August 13, 2014 (Final Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- August 8, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections...
- July 31, 2014 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster...
- July 17, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- July 8, 2014 (Recall Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- Recall, Case Count & Investigation Update: Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to...
- July 1, 2014 (Recall Update) Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Organic Sprouted Chia...
- June 27, 2014 (Investigation Update) Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infantis and Salmonella Newport Infections...
- How to Earn Airline Miles Without Flying
- 7 Great Stocks for the Next 15 Years
- 9 Overlooked Credit-Card Perks
- Why It Pays to Join the Company Wellness Program
- 3 Simple Steps to Estimate Your Home's Value
- 6 Things You Must Know About Pet Insurance
- 3 Chinese Stocks That Are Better Bargains than Alibaba
- How to Get an iPhone 6 for Less
- What Roth Owners Should Do if They Exceed the Income Limit
- The Starting Out Guide to Cheap International Travel
- December 11, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked...
- Initial Announcement: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections Linked to Ready-to-Eat Salads
- May 30, 2013 [Final Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- May 10, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 26, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- April 5, 2013 [Investigative Update]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- March 29, 2013 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 Infections Linked...
- December 10, 2012 [Final Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- November 17, 2012 [Initial Announcement]: Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infections
- July 20, 2012 (Final Update): Multistate Outbreak of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli O145 Infections