by Larry Henry, VNS Columnist
In 1975 I was a hard drinking, woman-chasing, home builder living the good life in Atlanta, Georgia.
Then Uncle Sam “lost” the Vietnam War. Having served in the Marine Corps I suspected something was screwy so I began to read and study the conflict.
I believed in many things when I was a naive 37 year old youngster. I believed in Democrats and Republicans, I believed in Lady Liberty, and I believed in Washington, DC. I was deaf, dumb and blind about politics.
The more I studied Vietnam the more it led me back to Washington and the LBJ White House. And the more I studied Capitol Hill, the more I came to dislike politicians.
Nixon was indicted, Carter came along then Ronald Reagan became our president. I believed in Ronald Reagan, I still do.
- Genetic Testing: Families With Breast Cancer
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Symptoms
- Birth Control: The Contraceptive Patch
- Infertility Treatment: 7 Tips to Manage Stress
- Less-Invasive Fibroid Treatment May Be 'Under-Used'
- Common Virus May Be Linked to Heart Disease, Diabetes in Some Women
- Bone Density Scan
- Divorce May Shrink an Older Woman's Waistline
- Dutch Government Launches Birth Control Fund for Women in Developing Nations
- Birth Control Types
- Soup in a snap: kale, butter bean, and ham
- A golden host of my own
- College athletes mentor kids at domestic violence shelter
- As House GOP tries to revive health-care reform, Democrats emboldened to stop it
- In tricky US-Russia climate, citizen diplomats and scholars do the talking
- Why Trump rollback of Obama climate policies could be a long slog
- Without more sand, SoCal stands to lose big chunk of its beaches
- Chinese company Tencent picks up five percent of Tesla (+video)
- The view of Brexit from a city that voted to ‘Leave’
- A good defense against terrorist hate
- It's over: Britain files for divorce from the European Union
- The Latest: EU leaders pledge to remain united amid Brexit
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Raqqa residents trapped by militants ahead of assault
- Kushner, taking new White House role, faces rare scrutiny
- US judge to hear arguments on longer block to travel ban
- Iranians, engines of US university research, wait in limbo
- Ex-Christie aides to be sentenced in New Jersey bridge case
- Troll for the 'lulz'? A target of online abuse isn't amused
- Fans can look forward to some major changes in NFL games
- Philomena Lee Follows Her Movie's Footsteps in Washington
- After Construction, Keystone XL Will Only Support 50 Jobs, Report Says
- Box May Have Filed Secretly for Initial Public Offering
- More States Seek to Repeal Common Core
- Hold On to the Thin Mints, CookieCott 2014 Encourages Conservatives to Stay Away from Girl...
- Kirsten Gillibrand Slams Sexual Assault Panel's Decision on Commander's Role
- With Bruno Mars' Halftime Show, Has the Super Bowl Finally Gotten Over Nipplegate?
- State Department Keystone Pipeline Report Finds Little Impact on Carbon Emissions
- Another Cruise Ship Docks Early After Gastrointestinal Outbreak
- New Peanut Therapy Alters DNA
- Even if Fiduciary Rule Gets Killed Under Trump, Investors Have Wised Up
- 6 Things Your Tax Preparer May Not Want You To Know
- Roth Conversions May Be Boon for Heirs
- The 7 Best Dividend Stocks for the Second Quarter
- Why United Stock Will Leave the Legging Fuss on the Tarmac
- Secrets to Shopping at Home Depot
- 6 Millennial Money Habits Every Retiree Should Learn
- Can You Get By Without a Financial Planner?
- Surprising Benefits of Amazon Prime
- Oil Prices Tank Despite OPEC Cuts